Friday 14 April 2017

Congo - The Last Queen of Aksoum

We've taken a break from our 1066 SAGA campaign, but fear not the final encounter at Hastings is on the horizon!

I have finally managed to get enough terrain put together to play Savannah based Congo scenarios. I have stressed over what to do about a Savannah gaming board for weeks. In the end, I chanced up a gaming mat sold by Tiny Wargames and picked one up at Cavalier.

Next up was to put together some suitable terrain. I have decided to go for a dry sparsely vegetated look so that I can mix in some of my desert terrain. One of the most iconic images of an African Savannah is probably the Acacia tree and after getting some ideas from A Grab Bag of Games, I set about ordering some cheap eBay trees and bending them into shape. Termite mounds and a Kopje were next. After all, we need somewhere for the lion to spring from!




The termite mounds are sold as plastic scatter terrain by Warlord Games and the Kopje is a repainted aquarium piece.

So here's the finished terrain put together in advance of a mid-week game.










I acted as village elder and showed Lord Nicholson the famous explorer from Herne and Mighty Kyle of the African Kingdoms how to play. Unfortunately, the gods deserted Mighty Kyle and other than bagging a lion in an Acacia copse his last remaining unit of Young Warriors had little to show for their effort.

In contrast, the dastardly Lord Nicholson made of with the lost (stolen?!) crown and almost all of the VPs!




A great game enjoyed by all and brilliant set of rules.





12 comments:

  1. Your terrain looks really impressive. Love the termite mounds. Regards, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've put the termite mounds on area terrain, but since they are individually mounted they can also be used as separate blocking terrain.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I quite enjoyed pulling it all together for the game. I'll probably try to get at least one more Acacia copse done, along with a few individual trees and areas of long grass. It never ends!

      Delete
  3. The termite mounds are a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were bought from Warlord Games but are probably quite easy to make out of greenstuff or milliput.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely superb and very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I think I was lucky to stumble upon the Zulu mat.

      Delete
  5. Dude what an awesome job getting the terrain together. Well done! I might be inspired to take a peek at why everyone has gone gaga over this.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is a lot of fun, with atmospheric scenarios. Figure counts are quite low meaning it's quick to build up a column and this certainly helps!

      Delete
  6. Brilliant game I have to say. Your terrain is superb. I might be tempted by the termite mounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, the termite mounds do seem to be popular!

      Delete